Edward Preston Sr. began making edge tools in Birmingham, England in 1825. Edward Jr. joined in 1850 and by 1866 had his own shop. First was the Whittal Works, named for the street which later became Edward Preston & Sons Ltd.. Edward Jr.’s three sons joined in 1889 and incorporation was in 1898.
The Great Depression hit the company hard. They sold out to John Rabone & Sons in 1932. Not interested in manufacturing everything in the Preston line, rights to unwanted items were sold to C & J Hampton in 1934. The trademark “Record” was registered to the Hamptons in 1909.
The EP trademark first appeared in 1882.
Return to Home Page YouTube channel Wrenchwiki