Fred H Ayer received patent number 590,940 for a windlass in 1897. This was when Victorian houses might have an acetylene generator in the basement for gas lighting. The windlass was to lower a ceiling mounted fixture for lighting. These were produced beginning in 1898.
The F H Ayer Company began in 1904 with incorporation in 1906. The company began making mechanic’s tools in Chicago Heights, Illinois. The main product was a pressed steel socket set compatible with Mossberg. Patent numbers 1,072,807 and 1,199,737 were for ratchets. These were issued in 1913 and 1916. The company logo was a capitol A in a circle.
Focus changed to custom machine work with an emphasis on large pumping equipment. The company was sold in 2020.
Return to Home Page