H D Smith was a hardware dealer known for Perfect Handle brand tools. Henry D Smith and others founded the company in 1850 producing castings for carriages and wagons. The company was incorporated in 1892 and reorganized in 1900 with drop forged tools introduced soon after. A spark from a polishing machine in 1910 burned the plant to the ground and a new plant was quickly rebuilt. The company focused on tools after the fire and did well until the depression. The Tobrin Tool Company was established in 1923 by employees of H D Smith but the company continued until Trimont took over in 1930.
Return to Home Page