Henry Taylor was a Sheffield manufacturer of edge tools. The firm of Taylor & Howarth was established in 1834 by Henry Taylor and James Howarth. This lasted until 1842. Some sources have Henry leaving and some have James leaving. Advertisements have Howarth at the same address with Taylor moving a few numbers up Fitzwilliam Street.
Henry’s firm became known as the Acorn Works and lasted until 1882. John James Champion acquired the Acorn Works at this time. Champion continued using the original name and trade mark. The company still exists today manufacturing the highest quality carving tools.
Howarth established the Broomspring Works and became James Howarth & Sons in 1863.
Return to Home Page