The Le Roy Plow Company was an important manufacturer of plows and related machinery. Alexander Miller and son Frederick Miller moved to Caledonia, New York in 1888 where they manufactured farm equipment under the Miller name. Of special interest is patent number 345,981 for a bean harvester granted July 20, 1886 to Frederick. In 1899, a group of businessmen from Le Roy, New York purchased the Miller Manufacturing Company and formed the Le Roy Plow Company. Frederick then established the Caledonia Bean Harvester Works in 1900.
In addition to the Miller machine, the company manufactured Boss potato diggers, Cambridge plows, and a significant line of cultivators. A few Roe Electric Plows were made. These were two-bottom plows with a tractor-driven generator. Current between the plow bottoms was supposed to kill weeds and insects.
Thomas Larkin was one of the original stakeholders. Larkin gained full control of the company in 1916 and built one of the largest plow-manufactures in the United States. The Cambridge Plow Company was acquired the same year. Caledonia Bean Harvester was added in 1941. Thomas Larkin died in 1943. The company continued until at least 1949.
Return to Home Page