Fred L Maytag, W C Bergman, F H Bergman, and G W Parsons became involved in the Parsons Band Cutter & Self Feeder Company in 1892. This machine saved hand feeding threshing machines. There was also the Fuller Traction Stand to feed traction engines and locomotives. The Successful brand ratcheting cylinder wrench was developed by this company.
Bergman renamed the Hawkeye Incubator Company the One Minute Manufacturing Company when he began making washing machines. The Old Parsons Band Cutter became the Maytag Washing Machine Company in 1907 although they continued using the 1893 date in advertisements. Fred had bought the company. The Band Cutter line was maintained until 1922. The only product was washing machines after 1922. Fred’s son, L B had become president.
The prototype washing machine was made in 1905. The Mason Automobile Company was purchased in 1909. The Maytag Mason was made in 1910, 1911, and sold in 1912. The first gasoline engine for washers was in 1911 as well as the first electric motor. Engine maker Elgin was purchased in 1916. Elgin made engines were used from 1915 to 1952. Briggs and Stratton engines were used from 1952 on. The first cast aluminum tub was in 1920 with the famous square tub being offered in 1922. The company’s stock was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1925 and the one-millionth washer was made in 1927. The first automatic washer was sold in 1949 and the lonely Maytag Repairman commercials began in 1967.
The wildly popular Maytag toy racer was made in Urbana, Ohio by the Grimes Manufacturing Company in 1934.
Return to Home Page