Ney Manufacturing was an important manufacturer of agricultural equipment. Scientific farmer DD Miller opened a country store in New Franklin, Ohio in 1836. The store was moved to Wooster in the 1860s. This became DD & Son. A friendship developed between DD and Johnson Sherrick. Sherrick opened a branch in Canton in 1870 and married DD’s daughter in 1875. The Sherrick & Miller Hardware became the Canton Hardware in 1887.
Jacob New was an inventor specializing in hay equipment. Ney, Sherrick, & Miller was established in 1879 which soon became Ney Manufacturing. Ney owned 25% of the company which was sold to the Miller family in 1888. The Miller family operated the company through 4 generations until some time in the 1950s.
Return to Home Page