Torbensen Gear was established to manufacture an enclosed gear drive at a time when most automobiles were chain driven. They began making the TGI spark plug in 1901. The company was split into the Rajah Auto Supply Company and the Torbensen Motor Car Company in 1904. Rajah set up a sales office in New York while Torbensen continued manufacturing in Bloomfield, New Jersey. Rajah took over the New Jersey factory in 1908 when Torbensen relocated.
Return to Home Page