C Richardson began the Passaic Saw Works in 1859 becoming Richardson Brothers when his brother joined in 1860. His brothers died shortly after, but the name remained. The company designed and built their own machinery used to produce hay knives, reaping & cane knives, circular blades, molding cutters, and slate cutters.
The National Saw Company was formed in Newark, New Jersey in 1860. Incorporation occurred in 1890. Heavily influenced by Hamilton Disston, a saw syndicate was formed using the National Saw name on February 1, 1893. Companies included Richardson Brothers, Harvey Peace, Wheeler, Madden, & Clemson, and the Woodrough & McParlin Manufacturing Company.
Return to Home Page