Syracuse Chilled Plow was a highly successful New York plow manufacturer. Thomas Wiard began making plow points for local farmers in his Connecticut blacksmith shop. The farmer would then finish the plow at home using wood. Wiard moved to Genesee, NY in 1801/1802 and then to Avon in 1804. He started making the entire plow at this time. In addition to his own plow, Wiard was finishing Jethro Wood castings. Thomas Wiard died in 1837.
John S Robinson secured a patent for a chilled iron moldboard in 1874. The Robinson Chilled Plow works was organized in 1877. Robinson withdrew in 1878 and moved to Canadaigua, NY where he continued making plows with his son. The Syracuse plant became the Alexander Davidson Foundry. This property would eventually be purchased by Syracuse Chilled Plow.
Thomas Wiard’s grandson Harry started Syracuse Chilled Plow in 1876.
Purchased Whitman & Barnes Syracuse plant in 1907. The company had began making wheelbarrows, scrapers, trucks, and carts to fill in idle time. The W & B property was used for storage.
John Deere acquired Syracuse in 1912 via a stock swap.
Return to Home Page