Union Manufacturing was an important American manufacturer of wood carpenter’s planes. This company was established in 1866 by several business men including William M Hart, M J Woodruff, and C B Erwin ( Russell & Erwin). This was a grey iron foundry. The first products were hinges and water pumps.
The Birmingham Plane Company of Birmingham, Connecticut was formed in 1885. They made carpenter’s planes using patents acquired by George D Mosher and William H Ford. This company was officially dissolved in 1905 though probably inactive for some time. The Derby plane company was using Birmingham’s patents by 1901. Derby became part of Union by 1902. Their wood plane business was sold to Stanley in 1921.
Important patents included 296207, 309400, and X-plane patents 746,285, 746286, and 763721.
Return to Home Page